Whether representing a debtor or creditor, through an informal out-of-court workout or through the bankruptcy process, he partners with his clients to find the most efficient and beneficial solution for their situation. He has represented clients in numerous industries including health care, telecommunications, manufacturing, real estate, retail, transportation, and financial services. An experienced practitioner, Bob has participated in all aspects of the bankruptcy process. He has represented trustees, debtors, creditors’ and equity committees, secured and unsecured creditors, purchasers of assets, and litigants in adversary proceedings. His extensive variety of client experience includes:
- Counsel to Coquina Investments in the Rothstein Rosenfeldt Adler case (Fl)
- Appointed as the Fee Examiner in the City of Detroit Chapter 9 case (MI)
- Lead debtor counsel to Telesphere Communications, Inc. (IL), Adventist Living Centers, Inc. (IL), Bachrach Clothing, Inc., (IL), Ingersoll, Inc. (IL), and Perpetua, Inc. (IL)
- Appointed Special Mediator by the Court in Lauth Investment Properties, LLC (IN)
- Lead counsel to the Chapter 7 trustees of Peregrine Financial Group, Inc. (IL), McCook Metals (IL) and Jore Corporation (MT) and the Chapter 11 trustee of Commercial Loan Corporation (IL) and McCook Metals (IL)
- Counsel to the Ad Hoc Committee of 2001A Bondholders in the United Airlines bankruptcy (IL)
- Counsel to the creditors committee in Nannovation, Inc. (IL) and the equity committee in Advanced Lighting (IL)
- Counsel to the Ad Hoc Committees of Non-Equity Partners in the cases of Keck, Mahin and Cate (IL) and Altheimer & Grey (IL)
In addition, Bob has extensive experience on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, in the analysis, drafting, and litigation of cases seeking the avoidance of preferential transfers and fraudulent conveyances. Examples of his experience include:
- Lead plaintiffs’ counsel in fraudulent conveyance cases in Commercial Financial Services, Inc. (OK), Santa Fe Trail Transportation Company (IL), and BN Transport, Inc. (IL)
- Lead plaintiffs’ counsel in hundreds of preference actions in the cases of Santa Fe Trail (IL), BN Transport (IL), Telesphere (IL), Mego Financial Corp (NV), Jore Corporation (MT) and Megafoods (AZ)
Bankruptcy Mediation has become a very significant part of Bob’s practice. He was appointed the Special Mediator in the Lauth Investment Properties, LLC (IN) case and successfully assisted the parties therein in reaching a global settlement that allowed for the confirmation of a Chapter 11 plan of reorganization. Bob was retained as the Mediator in the Eastern Livestock Co., LLC (IN) case and mediated a nine party set of controversies that ultimately lead to a settlement between seven of the parties and allowed for the Trustee’s plan to be confirmed. Bob has also mediated numerous traditional two party disputes such as preference, fraudulent conveyance and automatic stay controversies.
Bob attended the inaugural American Bankruptcy Institute/St. John’s Law School Bankruptcy Mediation Training Program in 2011 (40 hours of bankruptcy mediation training] and was a member of the faculty for the 2012 – 2015 programs. Bob was Chairman of the American Bankruptcy Institute Bankruptcy Mediation Committee from 2012 – 2016.
A leader in his field, Bob frequently addresses audiences on topics concerning bankruptcy, creditors’ rights issues and bankruptcy litigation.
Bob is active in many professional organizations, including: Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy; Mediation Committee of the American Bankruptcy Institute; Secured Creditors and U.S. Trustee subcommittees of the Business Bankruptcy Committee of the American Bar Association; Bankruptcy Litigation Committee of the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association; Bankruptcy and Insolvency Group of the National Association of Credit Managers-Oregon, Inc.; and the Chicago Bar Association. Bob was the Chairman of the Bankruptcy Remote Entities, Bankruptcy Proofing and Public Policy Advisory Group to the American Bankruptcy Institute Commission to Study Chapter 11 Reform.
His past leadership positions include: Chairman of the Board of Directors (1999 – 2000) and President (1997 – 1998) of the American Bankruptcy Institute; Member of the Board of Regents (2008 – 2012) and Board of Directors (2012 – 2016) of the American College of Bankruptcy; Commercial, Banking and Bankruptcy Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association; and the Board of Directors of the George Washington University Law Alumni Association.
Bob has also been given an AV rating by Martindale Hubbell, been named an Illinois Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine, an Illinois Leading Lawyer by the Law Bulleting Publishing Company and listed in the area of bankruptcy by Chambers USA, a listing of preeminent lawyers in the U.S.